The Association was formed as the Stoke-on-Trent Archdiaconal Association of Church Bell Ringers
at an inaugural meeting in Stoke-on-Trent, on Saturday 16th December 1882. Initially there were four districts
based on Stoke, Leek, Uttoxeter, and Wolstanton. However, this was never a great success and in 1907 the districts
were finally dropped and the Association run as a single entity.
In 1925 Cheadle RC was admitted to membership and as a consequence the name of the Association was changed to the North Staffordshire and District Association of Change Ringers. A few years later the title was shortened by dropping the and District. In the early 1980s the boundaries expanded when the former deaneries of Stafford and Tutbury were incorporated into the Stoke-on-Trent archdeaconry, bringing several new towers into the fold.
Affiliation to the Central Council was a long term aim having first being agreed in 1898, but there seemed some reluctance as it took until 1931 for this to finally happen!
Further information about the Association can be found in the Nov 26th and Dec 3rd editions of the 1982 Ringing Worlds.
Peal ringing for the Association started at Wolstanton in 1884 with five minor methods, followed later in the year by
peals of Grandsire Triples. Over subsequent years a wide range of methods have been rung ranging from Plain Bob Doubles
to Surprise Maximus.
Note that currently, to be counted as an Association peal at least half the band must be resident or former resident members of the Association.
Full details of all Association peals are recorded in our Peal Books and held on an online database.